Thursday, September 11, 2014

milf - antidope (1994, Big Deal)

Low and behold it's milf's second album, and likely the last thing I have to offer by them after exhausting the rest of their catalog on this page over the years.  The title antidope was in all likelihood a pun on the word "antidote" (clever bastards these lads were, eh)?  Their first full length, 1994's godhead ha ha bus! was the pinnacle of their recorded output IMO, an album that wielded equal parts wry pop hooks and hyper distortion overdrive.  By comparison antidope was markedly dissonant and insular, delving into murkier terrain than milf had ever ventured into.  Challenging and oblique as it may be at times, antidope offers it's share of tuneful respites - "thom" and "isao minami" winning the most favor with me.  All in all it's an acquired taste worth acquiring, especially if you've been sold on their other swill.  Feel your Ginsana.

01. nutcracker
02. ginsana
03. apples
04. big rock drum (interlude)
05. mo' zac
06. georgia tucker
07. the day that gram parsons died
08. georgia pad (interlude)
09. isao minami
10. thom
11. spookie
12. shoegazer (lowest energy song)
13. one man
14. shoegazer (reprise)

Hear

7 comments:

Mason said...

Oh. My. God. You continue to delivery amazingly man. Thanks so much for this.

etcetera said...

What Mason said.

I can't thank you enough for turning me on to milf !

Rob L said...

I remember hunting the lackluster record stores in my area when I was a teenager for a MILF album after hearing a track on a local college station that I loved. After years with no success, I think I gave up. Thanks for reminding me of that quest. Love the site, just a glance shows you have put forth a lot of stuff I love that I had started to wonder if I had been alone in liking. You've earned a regular visitor for sure.

Unknown said...

is there any chance of a re up dude?

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

Unknown said...

They played at my house once; an apartment above Parkside Candy in Buffalo.

Anonymous said...

Re-up?