Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Radio City "North Sea" 7" (1993, VHF)

Nope, this isn't the same late '70s power-pop hopefuls Radio City (who btw recently enjoyed a reissue on Radio Heartbeat Records), rather an entirely different group from the Clinton-era. I have no pertinent background details or dossier to offer you on these, rather a blurb found here that describes them pretty well:

Dense layers of overdriven guitar, indie guitar rock, like Dinosaur Jr circa "Bug" but without the drip singing. Yeah lots of low in the mix vocals. "North Sea" is as tight as a gnats ass and twice as catchy. There's some enticing freakouts, during "Bent", which is held together with some solid drumming.

Tight as gnats ass. Now that's what I call classy praise. Seriously, "North Sea" is pretty fucking good, with a little flange flung onto that heaping pile of Mascis riffola, as noted above. Can anyone fill me in on these guys? No insert in the sleeve, save for a paltry catalog. 
 
A. North Sea
B. Bent 

Hear

2 comments:

johnnybgoode said...

I laughed out loud at your knat comment. really glad I stumbled upon your blog. The Figgs stuff alone is priceless. Cant wait to hear more. You have great taste (i.e. identical to mine...) rock on, my friend!

kri said...

This has been my Holy Grail of singles to find online. I have the original but it's in storage far far away. This thing rocks after all this time. I have no idea who they are or what happened to them.