Sunday, August 12, 2007

Close Lobsters - Headache Rhetoric & Nature Thing CDS

Always the debut, never the follow-up. As one of the premiere, if not the outright definitive band of the mid-80s, British "C86" jangle pop movement, many fans and critics alike revere the Scottish band's 1986 debut album, Foxheads Stalk This Land while somewhat marginalizing Headache Rhetoric. The album in question is indeed a step forward, but an entirely logical one at that. A little more polished? Yes. Fuller, and more robust arrangements than on the Lobsters debut and early singles? You got it. Despite the band's increased proficiency, and the incorporation of more macabre lyrical content, nothing is compromised here. And even if Headache isn't your favorite Close Lobsters lp, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that "Nature Thing," and "Got Apprehension" don't deserve their rightful place on a hypothetical Close Lobsters "best -of" mix tape.
But wait, there's more! I'm also including as a separate upload, "Nature Thing" cd single containing three non-lp cuts, including a cover of Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My," which I believe also found it's way onto a compilation. The cute lil' 3" CD that the four cuts are enshrined on makes for a perfect companion to the album.

Headache Rhetoric
01. Lovely Little Swan
02. Gun Powder Keg
03. Nature Thing
04. My Days Are Numbered
05. Gutache
06. Got Apprehension
07. Gulp
08. Words On Power
09. Skyscrapers
10. Knee Trembler

Nature Thing cds
01. Nature Thing
02. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
03. Paper Thin Hotel
04. Never Seen Before (live)

Update: Headache Rhetoric is now available on Amazon and iTunes
 
Nature Thing cds: Hear

7 comments:

L said...

I love c-86 jangle pop - can't wait to listen to the Lobsters.

Michael said...

Brilliant... I am listening to the debut right now and can't wait to hear the follow-up!

Orin said...

Wow...I had been looking for Nature Thing for a long, long time...thanks!

nickp said...

Was a big fan of this band back in the day and I much prefer headache rhetoric - although Foxheads contains some great songs. Their best record though (imho) is the most elusive - Let's Make Some Plans - a classic by anyone's standards.

Unknown said...

What an excellent music, can you tell me some other bands with similar sounds of this one??
buy propecia .

somoxa said...

can you please re-up this one?

Nate said...

any chance you could re-up this one please?